Preface - User distinctions
When creating Profiles for your users, there are some special distinctions you can add if desired. These include making someone a Restricted or Semi-restricted user and/or assigning them an External user badge. You can learn more about these distinctions here.
When adding new users to your Jostle platform, you have a few options:
- Adding individual users
- Update multiple users via import CSV file
- Enabling users to add themselves
- Automating user import via SFTP upload
Adding individual users
Manually adding users in Jostle is done through the Administration Settings, just like all administration functions.
To add a new user
- Go to Administration Settings > User Accounts and Data > Create a New User
- Enter the information in the form. First Name, Last Name, and Work Email are all that is required.
- When ready, click the Create and Invite button to invite the user immediately (if you want to invite the user at a later time, click on the
NOTE - To add or update multiple users in bulk using a Jostle template, see this article
TIP: You also have the option of sending the invite email in any of Jostle's supported languages (English, French, Japanese, German, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, Polish, Hebrew, and Arabic).
Update multiple users via import CSV file
If you are managing your user base outside of Jostle in some other HRIS system like Active Directory, you will likely want to add your users there. This is especially true if you have automated the import of your people into Jostle. Jostle CSV imports do the following:
- Updates the user if it finds a user with that username in Jostle
- Creates a new user if it does not find that username in Jostle
- Leaves the rest of the users "as-is"
- Export all of your contributor data from Jostle
- Clear the "Personal Phone" field in the CSV, but leave the title
- Re-import the file to Jostle, checking the "Enable blanks" box
- Any blank field with a proper column heading will be overwritten with a blank value
- Column headings missing from the CSV will be completely ignored - not "blanked" out.
This expedites the whole process of adding and activating users by removing the System Admin’s need to manually add or bulk import users to the platform prior to inviting them.
System Admins will have to copy-paste the link into emails that they compose and send out their users themselves, and orgs can customize these emails as they please. (NOTE—The regular invite/activation email that gets sent to users to confirm their account after their info has been entered, is auto-generated, so there is no option to customize its content)
To generate a self registration link:
- Go to Admin Settings > User Accounts and Data > Enable Self Registration
- Check off the box next to “Enable self registration” (this should automatically populate the Self registration link field)
- In the Email domain field, enter the domain of the email addresses your users will be registering with (i.e. @yourcompany.com) and then click anywhere outside of that field (this should enable the Save button).
- Click Save and the email domain will now be tied to the link, so that only people registering with an email address from that domain will be able to complete the registration process.
- You can now Copy the link and send it to anyone, or Invalidate the link if you no longer want it to be active.
Automating user import via SFTP upload
If you want to automate the process of importing users via SFTP upload, see here.