The Basics is a collection of tutorials that have been designed to introduce new users to key aspects of the Jostle platform without getting too "in-depth" (more detailed information on these topics can be found elsewhere in the Guide - but here, we're just sticking to "the basics"). The topics covered here include: Interface Orientation and Adding People.
Interface Orientation: Main Navigation
When you log into Jostle for the first time you’ll be on a screen that has black column down the left side. This is the Main Navigation and it’s how you go to all the different views of the platform. And those views can include some or all of the following:
- Tasks - tool for assigning and tracking tasks
- News (and Activity) - the default view for Jostle’s platform. It’s where you will share announcements and articles with your organization. Activity is a live feed where people can chime in with updates or shout-outs.
- Events - a calendar of your organization’s events
- Discussions - your chat tool.
- People - a directory of employee profiles
- Library – a repository for reference files and documents
- Teams - a dynamic organization chart.
- Classifieds (Listings)* - a personal platform version of the Classifieds section of a newspaper.
- Links* - a place to store external links that are important or useful to your organization
*name can be customized per organization
Click on your name/avatar to access your Profile or pull up the action menu (three dots) to access your Preferences or Log out.
The ?/Help link takes you to the Help home page or jump right to a specific Help page via the action menu.
This link will appear only for System Administrators. Through Administration Settings, you can do things like add your people’s Profiles, which is exactly what we’ll do next.
Your platform is nothing without anybody in it, so here's how to change that.
Click the Admin Settings link at the bottom of the Main Navigation to go to Administration settings, then scroll down to User Accounts and Data > Create a New User. You can also take a shortcut to this page right from the Main Navigation via the Admin Settings action menu:
On the Create a new user page, there are 3 key fields you need to populate:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Work Email
By default, the user’s Username will be their email address (NOTE—Usernames are only used for logging into the platform)
Populate any remaining fields with any additional info you have and once you're done, scroll up to the top of the screen and do either of the following:
- Click on the "Create and Invite" button (for someone you want to join Jostle immediately). You should click this button if you just entered the details of someone who’ll be helping set-up your platform. They’ll be sent an e-mail with their log-in information. This will get them into the platform as a regular user – you’ll likely also want to assign some administrative rights to them.
- Click on the "Create and Add to Pending Invite List" button (for someone you want to join at a later date). Use this option if you entered the information of a person who is not part of your platform setup team. This will save that person’s profile but an invite won’t be sent to join the platform until you’re ready.
To add more people, use the “Create a New User” link on this screen and repeat the process. If you want to learn how to upload more than one profile out a time, check out The Basics: Bulk Uploading.
If you add someone and click "Create and add to pending invite list" is their picture and details viewable by everyone on People?
I want to add someone in advance of announcing their arrival, it would be good for them to populate their pages and then make it viewable by all.
Hi Peter - yes, using the "Create and add to pending invite list" will add the new user's Profile to People as well as make them findable via Search.
So there is no way to create and keep pending, allow them to personalise privately without being public.....?
No, a user won't be able to sign in to his account and make edits unless it has been activated (i.e., is visible). However, you can create his account with the bare minimum of details (Name, Work email, Username) and him and you can complete the rest of the details after he first signs in.
There is an alternative though - where you can have him self-register and create his own Profile and then activate his account all at once - but it means that you won't be able to create any Profile for him beforehand at all. You can read more about this here: https://forum.jostle.us/hc/en-us/articles/208405286-Adding-new-users#users