The Basics is a collection of tutorials presented in both video and text format that have been designed to introduce new users to key aspects of the Jostle platform. In-depth information on these topics can be found elsewhere in the Guide - but here, we're just sticking to "the basics". The following tutorials include: Interface Orientation and Adding People.
Please refer to the content below the video to see the most recent changes to the Main Navigation and rest of the platform.
Interface Orientation: Main Navigation
When you log into Jostle for the first time you’ll be on a screen that has black column down the left side. This is the Main Navigation and it’s how you go to all the different views of the platform. And those views can include some or all of the following:
- News (and Activity) - the default view for Jostle’s platform. It’s where you will share announcements and articles with your organization. Activity is a live feed where people can chime in with updates or shout-outs.
- Events - a calendar of your organization’s events
- Discussions - your chat tool.
- People - a directory of employee profiles
- Library – a repository for reference files and documents
- Teams - a dynamic organization chart.
- Classifieds (Listings)* - a personal platform version of the Classifieds section of a newspaper.
- Links* - a place to store external links that are important or useful to your organization
*name can be customized per organization
Click on your name/avatar to access your Profile or pull up the Action Menu (three dots) to access your Preferences or Log out.
The ?/Help link takes you to the Help home page or jump right to a specific Help page via the Action Menu.
This link will appear only for System Administrators. Through the Administration settings, you can do things like add your people’s Profiles, which is exactly what we’ll do next.
Your intranet is nothing without anybody in it, so here's how to change that.
Click the Admin Settings link at the bottom of the Main Navigation to go to Administration settings, then scroll down to User accounts and data > Create a new user.
On the Create a new user page, there are 3 key fields you need to populate:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Work Email
By default, the user’s Username will be their email address (NOTE—Usernames are only used for logging into the platform)
Populate any remaining fields with any additional info you have and once you're done, you can do either of the following:
- Click on the "Create & Invite" button (for someone you want to join Jostle immediately). You should click this button if you just entered the details of someone who’ll be helping set-up your intranet. They’ll be sent an e-mail with their log-in information. This will get them into the platform as a regular user – you’ll likely also want to assign some administrative rights to them.
- Click on the "Create and add to pending invite list" link (for someone you want to join at a later date). Use this option if you entered the information of a person who is not part of your intranet setup team. This will save that person’s profile but an invite won’t be sent to join the platform until you’re ready.
To add more people, use the “Create a new user” link on this screen and repeat the process. If you want to learn how to upload more than one profile out a time, check out The Basics: Bulk Uploading.