With the Third party access (API Keys) feature, users can use Zapier to integrate Discussions (that they are a Moderator for) with other web applications to perform automated tasks.
Generating your API key
*Before you begin, ensure you are already registered with a Zapier account
1. If your System Administrator has given you API management rights, you should see a gear icon at the top of your Discussions list. Click on it to open the Discussions Settings screen.
2. Under Third party access (API Keys) go to Your endpoint URL, click Copy and save it somewhere so you can access it later.
3. Next, go to Key Management, and click Add a new key. In the Description field, give the key an appropriate name (i.e. “Zapier”), and then click Add.
4. You should now see your API key in a yellow field. Click Copy and save it along with your endpoint URL. This will be the only time you will see that key, so ensure you have it copied and saved.
To complete the rest of the setup you will need to log into your Zapier account.
Making a Zap
NOTE—if you are not familiar with Zapier or Zaps, there are plenty of tutorials and guides available on the Zapier site.
Making a Zap is broken down into two parts, and each part has multiple steps.
- Part 1 (When this happens...) is where you'll select and set up the app you want to integrate with your Discussion.
- Part 2 (Do this...) is where you'll select and set up the Jostle app* and configure the Discussion you want to integrate with the app from Part 1.
*There are many apps can be used for Part 1, but only the Jostle app can be used for Part 2.
To begin, on the Zapier home page, expand the column on the left and click the Make A Zap button.
NOTE—to illustrate the following steps I’ll be using a Zap I created that posts a message in a Discussion whenever a certain event is added to my Google Calendar. Therefore, some of the content choices shown below will not be the same if you're setting up a Zap using a different app.
Setup: Part 1 - When this happens...
If you are unsure of anything at any time during the setup you can click the Guide button to the far right. This will slide open an info panel that you can follow through each step:
1. Choose App & Event
After clicking the Make A Zap button , you'll the see the apps that are available to you. After you select an app, you will be able to select a related trigger event.
2. Choose Account
Next, you'll enter your account connected with the app you've selected.
3. Customize Event
Next you'll enter specific details that will identify your event. For example, I chose for the Zap to search my Google Calendar for events posted under Customer Communication that have the word "Voice" in their title.
4. Find Data
To complete this part of the setup, Zapier will do a test search for a matching event. If successful, you can move on to Part 2.
Setup Part 2 (Do this...)
1. Choose App & Event
Here is where you'll search for and select the Jostle app and the only action event available at this time, "Create a discussion post"
2. Choose Account
In this step you'll encounter an access permission pop-up. Enter your saved endpoint URL and API key in the appropriate fields and then click Yes, Continue
This will confirm your Jostle account and link it to Zapier.
3. Customize Post
Here is where you'll build the content that you want the Zap to post for you.
In the first field you can enter either or both of the following:
- customized text
- pre-formatted data applicable to your chosen app/event.
TIP: These posts will appear in your Discussion timelines as normal posts from yourself. If you want people to know they're automated, add "Zap:" to the beginning of your message or an indication like "Automated message" to the end.
In the second field, click on the arrows and select the Discussion you want your Zap to post to. Remember, you will only see Discussions for which you are a Moderator.
4. Send Data
Once you’ve configured your post, if you know you have a matching event already available you can send a test Zap. If all goes well, you should see a Success screen.
And your test post will have been added to your chosen Discussion.
When you return to your Zapier Home page, you should see now your new Zap listed there, with a toggle for when you want to turn it on or off.