NOTE—System Administrators can enable this feature by clicking the gear icon in Events and selecting Enable calendar subscriptions.
If you have a Google, Outlook, or an Apple (Mac) calendar, you can subscribe your intranet's Events to them. Then, anything showing in your Events will be shown in your personal calendar as well. This includes all visible future events and all visible events from 2 months prior to the starting date of the subscription.
Data synced from each Events notice to your calendar includes:
- Event name
- Event description
Additionally, any of your personal calendar's built-in features or options will also appear. For example: Print, Email, Duplicate, or Copy to (useful for adding an event to another calendar viewable by others so people will know when you'll be busy).
(Above image: Google Calendar)
However, any action (RSVP, adding invitees, commenting, etc) can only be done via the original Events notice, which can easily be accessed from your personal calendar via a link included along with the synced data.
To subscribe Events to your calendar
1. Go to Events and click "Subscribe to calendar" from the action bar at the top of the screen (NOTE—this link will only appear if the calendar subscription feature has been enabled be a System Administrator).
2. On the Subscribe to calendar screen, follow the instructions provided, and then below the field where the link appears, click the Copy button. NOTE—do not share your link with anyone.
3. Next, go to your Google, Outlook, or Apple (Mac) calendar to add your subscription, following the indicated steps below:
- Open your Google calendar
- On the left side column, go to Other calendars and click the "+"
- Select "Subscribe to calendar"
- Under Add calendar, select "From URL"
- Paste your Events calendar link where it says "URL of calendar"
- Click the Add calendar button
- Sign in to Outlook on the web.
- At the bottom of the page, select the calendar icon.
- In the navigation pane, select Add calendar.
- Next, select Subscribe from web.
- Enter the link for your Events calendar.
- Under Calendar name, type the name you want to use for your calendar.
- Select Import.
- Open the Calendar app on your Mac and choose File > New Calendar Subscription.
- Enter your Events calendar link where indicated, then click Subscribe.
- Give your calendar a name in the Name field, then click the adjacent pop-up menu and choose a color.
- Click the Location pop-up menu, then choose an account for the subscription (iCloud or On My Mac).
- To get the calendar’s event attachments or alerts, deselect the appropriate Remove checkboxes.
- Click the Auto-refresh pop-up menu, then choose how often to update the calendar.
- To prevent alerts from appearing for this calendar, select Ignore alerts.
- Click OK
- Different applications have different sync times and schedules. Initially, you may experience up to a 24 hours delay for Events to fully sync with your personal calendar (most notably with Google), and then less significant syncing delays going forward. Please refer to the support documentation available for your respective calendars for more information on syncing.
- Event details link. You can always check if an event has been updated or removed in Events via the link back to the original notice that's included in your personal calendar's notice ("See <link> in..."). Depending on how your email client handles HTML, this link may be displayed in full or may be inserted as an "event details" hyperlink. Either way, it will take you back to the original notice.
To stop subscribing
If at any time, you wish to stop syncing your Events to your personal calendar (for example, if you think someone has gained access to your subscription link), you can do the following:
1. Go to Events > Subscribe to calendar
2. On the next screen, click the Invalidate button. On the next pop-up screen, click Invalidate again.
This will stop all currently-subscribed calendars from being able to use your link. A new subscription link will also be generated should you wish to resume syncing your calendars at a later date.