*This feature has been discontinued and will be removed from the platform later this year (Dec. 2020)*
Calls allows users to make one-on-one audio or video calls with anyone on their intranet and also includes a screen sharing option.
Table of contents
- System Admins can manage this feature at Administration settings > Views and functions > Manage views and powerups > Video calls
- Calls is fully supported (audio/video calls and screen sharing) by the Chrome and Firefox browsers.
- Calls requires the Discussions view to be enabled.
- Calls can only be enabled for a whole organization, not for a select group or groups within an organization.
- Calls is not compatible with Mobile.
- Chrome's WebRTC Leak Prevent and other similar browser extensions may interfere with the video functionality. Disabling these extensions before launching Calls should resolve such issues.
- Laptops that are plugged into a docking station may experience performance issues with Calls.
Choosing a call method
You can initiate a call from:
- The People popover menu (hover over a user’s image in People, then select Call—see image below)
- A user's Profile (open by clicking on a user’s avatar image in a Discussion, on a News Article, or in an Activity update, and then select Call)
- Any existing Direct Message (click the telephone icon in the Action Bar—see second image below)
Selecting Call by any of the above methods will enable a popup preview window over your intranet view. Here you can check your volume levels and video stream quality.
Once you're ready, click Start Call. Your recipient’s avatar will appear against a black screen while the call waits to be accepted.
When receiving a call, the recipient’s screen will go dim and an “incoming call” modal will appear, identifying the caller (you) and giving the option to Accept or Decline.
Video can be toggled off by clicking the camera icon once the status of the call changes from “Calling” to “On Call With”.
Click the camera icon again to re-enable video (the icon controls will appear whenever the window is hovered over or clicked on).
To end a call, click the red "X" in the upper right corner of the window.
If you run into performance problems or errors with your camera and/or microphone, check to see if you are blocking your intranet from being allowed those permissions (via the site permissions or your browser settings).
From your intranet browser tab
- Open your intranet
- Click the privacy (lock) icon next to the URL
- Verify that Camera and/or Microphone are set to Allow
You can access your microphone and camera settings quickly by copy/pasting the following links in your Chrome browser:
- Microphone: chrome://settings/content/microphone
- Camera: chrome://settings/content/camera
NOTE—if the Microphone or Camera icon that appears to the left of the URL in Chrome (or right of the URL if you're using a Mac, see below) has a strike through it/is blocked when you’re in Calls, click on the icon and unblock the appropriate permission.
- Copy/paste this link in your Firefox browser: about:preferences#privacy
- Scroll down to Permissions
- Click the Settings buttons for Camera and Microphone to verify/change their permissions
NOTE—if the Microphone or Camera icon that appears to the left of the URL in Firefox has a strike through it/is blocked when you’re in Calls, click on the icon and unblock the appropriate permission.
Mac Preferences - Enabling camera/microphone for others browsers
Open the Apple menu and select System Preferences
Go to Security & Privacy > Camera/Microphone > Privacy, and make sure the browser you're using is checked off for each:
To enable screen sharing
- Firefox users will be able to screen share without needing an extension or add-on.
- Chrome users will need to download and install the Jostle Screen Sharing extension from the Chrome Web Store (NOTE—only the user sharing their screen needs to have the extension installed).
Mac/Chrome users will also need to give Screen Recording permission to Chrome in Security & Privacy > Privacy:
During a call, enabled users can select the icon on the far left of the bottom row of icons to initiate screen sharing with their call recipient:
To begin screen sharing
- Chrome users will need to specify which screen they would like to share (Your entire screen, Application window, or Chrome tab) and then click the Share button.
- Firefox users will need to specify which Window or Screen to share and then click the Allow button.