NOTE - You can jump to Reports-to template if you're only looking to download the pre-formatted template.
Building Chart structures manually
Edit Teams allows you to build Chart structures manually in the Teams user interface. Smaller organizations may find this preferable to importing, as each user is placed manually into the tree.
Importing your Teams structure
The feature at Administration settings > TEAMS View > Import structure can be used to import a CSV to create a complete Chart structure. In this example we're importing to the Basketball Team under Committees and Clubs Category.
CAUTION: If you import a CSV to an existing Chart it will replace (overwrite) the existing Chart.
If the Team Names remain the same we will preserve Org Units as much as possible when you do overwrite a Chart via a CSV import.
Importing a hierarchy into a Chart
For many organizations, the main reports-to hierarchy exists in another enterprise system. By exporting that data and formatting it into a suitable CSV you can import into a Chart. You can use this same method to upload the structure of a project team into another Chart.
1. Populate your CSV
In its most basic form, it simply needs to be a CSV with two columns:
- Username - for each employee (usually their work email address)*
- Supervisor Username - each employee's supervisor's username.
*Verify Usernames via Administration settings > Contributor Configuration > Edit/delete Contributors. Assigning a Contributor’s work email as their Username is the recommended setting, and is the method shown in the template and examples below.
There are two additional fields you can use when importing a reports-to structure into a Chart:
- Role Name - This will define the Role of each Contributor (employee) in the hierarchy. Often this maps to a person's job title, but doesn't always have to (learn more here). If this is left blank you will have to add these Role Names manually later.
- Team Name - If you leave this field blank during your import, they will be automatically named based on your existing structure (as shown in the examples below where two teams were created - CEO's Team and Emp 1's Team)
Reports-to template: Importing your structure using the .csv file is only for solid-line (primary) reports-to structures. You can use our pre-formatted template to get started.
- *Golden rule* It is important to ensure the chain of command is continuous from top to bottom. Your CSV must form a single, continuous tree, so make sure to leave a blank for your top manager's supervisor (CEO, City Administrator, etc.).
2. Import your CSV
Once the CSV is ready to be imported:
1. Go to Administraton settings > TEAMS View > Import structure
2. Make the appropriate Category and Chart Selections (if you're importing your organization's main reports-to hierarchy, select the Main Organization category)
3. Click "Choose File" to locate your CSV and then click "Upload"
4. Follow the onscreen mapping prompt
NOTE - the mapping prompt will only appear if your column headers are anything other than our defaults (Username, Supervisor Username, Role Name, and Team Name). If our column header defaults do exist in the .csv file being uploaded, the mapping step will be skipped.
If your CSV upload is successful, the process looks like this:
If your CSV upload is unsuccessful, it may be due to the following errors:
Error 1: Supervisor field left blank for anyone other than the top of the tree:
Error 2: People are reporting to themselves (i.e., a Username and its corresponding Supervisor Username are identical):
Error 3: "Specified Contributor was not found" error. This can occur when the incorrect Username for a Contributor is entered, which most commonly happens when a Contributor's work email has not been set as their Username in their Profile, but was entered in the CSV as if it were. Verify Usernames via Administration settings > Contributor Configuration > Edit/delete Contributors.
Importing a self-managed Team into a Chart
Similar to importing a reports-to structure into a Chart, you need to create your CSV and follow the golden rule. In this example, we’re creating a Basketball Team as a new Chart under the category “Committees and Clubs”.
Since this is a self-managed team, it does not have a supervisor. So the card everyone 'reports to' on this team is a Team Card. Create a placeholder Username for this Team Card (in this example we chose "basketballteamcard" but we could have used any other unique word). In the CSV, leave the Supervisor Username empty (golden rule) and add “Team Card” in the Role Name column. Give your Team a name in the Team Name column. Then add your Team’s members and their Roles, reporting to the placeholder Username of the Team (i.e. basketballteam).
NOTE: You can use this same method of setting the Role Name to be "Team Card" to create a self-managed team anywhere in a Chart, including within an extended reports-to structure.
Import your completed CSV by navigating to the Administration settings > TEAMS > Import structure, selecting your Category and selecting “Create new Chart” under Select Chart, choosing your file and clicking on "Upload".
After the import your new Chart will look like this
NOTE: If you do not add the Team Name (leave this field blank) the Team will be called "Unnamed Team".