In Administration settings > Bulk manage Contributors > Contributor photos you can bulk upload/download your organization's Contributor photographs.
Size & Shape
- Crop your photos to a square, or ensure the face is centered if it's rectangular (we will crop it to a square, so the edges will be removed).
- Aim for minimum dimensions of 313 x 313 pixels. Anything smaller will be enlarged and may look blurry. Bigger is OK, we will shrink it as needed.
For JPG or TIFF images: Jostle respects Exif image metadata. This is relevant in the case of image rotation. Some image tools, especially Microsoft products, do not respect Exif rotation metadata. This can result in images looking correct on your PC, but sideways or upside-down in Jostle.
- For Windows users, we recommend editing your photos in Picasa.
- For Mac users, the built-in Preview tool works well.
- For Linux users, Pinta and GIMP work well.
Single photo upload
A System Administrator can upload a photo for any individual Contributor by entering their Profile (via Search or clicking on their image in People), and selecting "Edit photo" below their current picture.
Google Profile photo sync
If you are integrated with Google for work and are importing users or have automatic import setup, one of the user metadata fields that can be synced is the Profile photo. Jostle only has access to a very low resolution version of the Google profile photo, so we only import photos to Jostle from Google if there is no existing profile photo. You can learn more about Google Apps automation here.
Import Contributor photos (bulk upload)
To perform a bulk import of photos to Jostle:
- Assemble a .zip file that contains a separate image for each Contributor photo. The images can be in .jpg, .png or .gif format and can be at any reasonable resolution
- To map the images to Contributors, the file name for each image needs to be the Contributor's Username. (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) or Contributor's first name and last name separated by space (e.g. Bob Smith.jpg).
- Click the Admin Settings link at the bottom of the Main Navigation.
- Navigate to Bulk manage Contributors > Contributor photos (see image below).
- If you need a list of the Contributor usernames to use for the photo file names, click the Download usernames button.
- Once you have created the .zip file (as per Step 1), click the Choose file button under Upload photos to navigate to it on your computer.
- Select the file and click the Upload button.
- If there are any errors during import, you can download a spreadsheet stating which files had the error and what the error was. Once those are corrected, upload the .zip file again to add/edit information.
If your Contributors already have photos attached to their Profiles, you can extract them all in one .zip file by clicking the blue Download all photos button (see above).