Custom Filter (not to be confused with the Custom Profile field) is a customizable filter that appears in the Filter Drawer and can be used throughout out the platform. Custom Filter is one of the three filters (the others being Locations and Org Units) that allow you to create Intersections—very specific target audiences—with the List Selector.
Employee Types is the default name for the Custom Filter. You can change this name and use this Filter for a wide variety of purposes. The Custom Filter is optional – if you have not defined any Categories for it, it will not appear as a filter throughout the platform. Each employee (Contributor) can be assigned to multiple Categories (values) for the Custom Filter.
Table of contents:
- Examples of how to use Custom Filter
- Setting up the Custom Filter
- Assigning Custom Filter Categories via bulk uploading
- Automatic creation of Custom Filter Categories
- Assigning the Custom Filter Category per Contributor
- Custom Profile Category vs. Custom Filter
1. Examples of how to use Custom Filter
The Custom Filter is best used for employee attributes that are often used for filtering or targeting employee groups that cannot be defined by Org Units or Locations. Examples include:
- Employee Types: Customer-facing, Back office, Development
- Employee Group: Union1, Union2, Exempt
- Employee Status: Full time, Part time, Contract
In the examples above, the bold part is what the filter is named and the entries in the list are the different Categories that are set up for this filter.
2. Setting up the Custom Filter
To set up your Custom Filter
- Go to Administration Settings > Filters > Custom Filter
- If do not want to use the default name "Employee Type", enter your preferred filter label, in both singular and plural forms. Click Save.
- Add the Categories (values) for your Custom Filter. These are entered and saved one at a time.
- Once added, the Categories appear on the list at the bottom of this screen. From this list you can delete (click the red x) or edit the name of the Category.
6. Custom Profile Category vs. Custom Filter
The Custom Profile Category has a similar name and setup screen as Custom Filter Category, which sometimes causes confusion.
As mentioned above, Custom Filter is a filter that can be used throughout the platform, in List Selector, and appears in Filter Drawer. A Contributor's Custom Filter Category/Categories will also appear in the About section of their Profile.
The Custom Profile Category has a similar label/value setup, but it's not a filter, so it does not appear in Filter Drawer or List Selector. It only appears in the Other section of a Contributor’s Profile. It can also be used as a valid Search term.
Custom Profile Category: