Preface - User distinctions
When creating Profiles for your users, there are some special distinctions you can add if needed. These include making someone a View-only user and/or assigning them an External user badge. You can learn more about these distinctions here.
When adding new users to your Jostle intranet, you have a few options:
- Adding individual users
- Update multiple users via import CSV file
- Automating user import via SFTP upload
Adding individual users
Manually adding users in Jostle is done through the Administration Settings, just like all administration functions. Here are the steps:
- Go to Administration Settings > User accounts and data > Create a new user
- Enter the information in the form. First Name, Last Name, and Work Email are all that is required.
- If you haven't set up any Custom Filter Categories or Locations yet, those fields will say "Not Applicable". If you do have set them up, the dropdown selector for these fields will be enabled. Be sure to click the highlighted Add button after you make each selection in order to add it to the user's profile.
- Click the Create & Invite button to invite the user immediately (if you want to invite the Contributor at a later time, click on the
NOTE - To add or update multiple users in bulk using a Jostle template, see this article.
Update multiple users via import CSV file
If you are managing your user base outside of Jostle in some other HRIS system like Active Directory, you will likely want to add your users there. This is especially true if you have automated the import of your people into Jostle. Jostle CSV imports do the following:
- Updates the user if it finds a user with that username in Jostle*
- Creates a new user if it does not find that username in Jostle
- Leaves the rest of the users "as-is"
- Export all of your contributor data from Jostle
- Clear the "Personal Phone" field in the CSV, but leave the title
- Re-import the file to Jostle, checking the "Enable blanks" box
- Any blank field with a proper column heading will be overwritten with a blank value
- Column headings missing from the CSV will be completely ignored - not "blanked" out.