Deleting a user will automatically remove all their Profile attributes except for their name and avatar image (both of which can be manually removed). It will not remove any of their past News Articles, uploaded items, posts, comments or likes.
In order to delete a user, your must first disable their login via the Account Status setting on their Edit user form:
(For more information on disabling logins, which keeps a user's Profile information intact, but just removes their ability to log in to the platform, please see this article)
Delete an individual Contributor
Here are the steps to permanently delete a disabled user and all their data.
- Go to the Administration settings > User accounts and data > Delete disabled users
- From the list of disabled users, check the box next to the user you wish to delete.
- Click the Delete button.
Before you can delete the user, a pop-up window will require you to either:
- retain the user's name indefinitely and their avatar image for 6 months
- immediately replace their name with their initials and remove their avatar image.
Delete multiple users
First, you will need to have a CSV file containing a list of the users to delete. It should have one column, with Username appearing at the top, and the list of Usernames (in email address format) following in the rows below. NOTE—when deleting multiple uses, their name will remain in the system and their avatar image will be removed after 6 months.
After you have prepared the CSV file:
- Go to Administration settings > User data to/from other systems > Delete users (CSV)
- Select Choose file and select your CSV.
- Click Delete users.
Delete multiple users via SFTP
If you want to automate the process of bulk deleting users via SFTP see here.